24 June 2013

Thomas was Left an Orphan Early (Georgia Editor Dead, Pt. 2)

Augusta Chronicle (Georgia)
22 March 1926, pgs 1 & 2 (continued)

"...Left an Orphan Early.
His father died in 187[5?] at the age of 30 years, when young Loyless was only five years old, he being the third child of a family of four children, and his mother died in 1879 at the age of 34 years. This left Thos. W. Loyless on his own resources at an early age and he began work as a clerk in his uncle's store at Dawson, but before he was 15 years old he went to Savannah as a clerk in a cotton firm, soon returning to Dawson to again work a short time in his uncle's store. However, he almost immediately began newspaper work on The Dawson News, now published by Hon. E. L. Rainey, of the prison commission of Georgia. His work soon attracted attention and he went to Macon in 1889 to work with The Macon News and a year later became city editor of The Macon Telegraph. In 1893 he went to Knoxville as managing editor of The Knoxville Sentinel, which position he held until 1[895?] when he organized a company to purchase The Macon News, which paper he edited until 1899, when he sold his interest to go to Atlanta as associate editor of The Atlanta Journal, and after a year there he accepted the same position with The Atlanta Constitution.

Becomes Chronicle Editor.
In 1903 he became associated with H. H. Cabaniss, business manager of The Journal, in a syndicate to purchase The Augusta Chronicle, and he was associated with Mr. Cabaniss in the work until 1905 when he procured the interest of Mr. Cabaniss and became editor and manager of The Chronicle. His record in Augusta is so well known until it would be needless to recount it. His activities were not circumscribed by the newspaper world, but instead he took and active part in practically every movement of consequence in the city and section during his residence here.

While not taking any part in politics personally, he was recognized as a great thinker and the fact that he was a selfmade [sic] man, fighting his way from the ground up, through all the vicissitudes of life, made him respected as an authority. He made enemies and friends and steadfastly maintained his position and fought for his convictions unrelentingly.

His home life was most affectionate. In 1895 he married Miss Margaret St. Clair Neill, daughter of Capt. Cecil C. Neill, of the United States navy. Though born in Charleston she was reared in Macon. To the couple was born a son, who died as a boy, and a daughter, Margaret, now Mrs. Patrick H. Mell.

In 1908 he was a delegate at large from Georgia to the democratic national convention and in 1912 he was tendered the same position, but he did not accept..."

Part 1 is here. Final part next up: "Editor of Enquirer-Sun" and "A Forceful Writer."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin