23 June 2013

Georgia Editor, Dead

Augusta Chronicle (Georgia)
22 March 1926, pg. 1

Macon, Ga., May 21 -- (AP) -- The body of Thomas W. Loyless will be brought here on a special car on the Southern railway Tuesday evening at 7:55 o'clock and the funeral will take place Wednesday morning at St. Joseph's Catholic church.
Thomas Wesley Loyless, for 15 years editor of The Augusta Chronicle and nationally known as one of the South's leading newspapermen, is dead. After a lingering illness, that affected him for years he succumbed yesterday morning at 11:30 o'clock, death occurring at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Pat M. Mell, in Philadelphia. His condition had been regarded as acute since last summer when he underwent a major operation in Atlanta from which he never recovered. During the Christmas holidays he went to visit his daughter and suffering a recurrence of his ailment he grew worse until his death was momentarily expected on several different occasions during the past two or three months.

The announcement of his death will cause a shock throughout the state. A decade ago his death would have removed from the life of Augusta one of its leading figures around whom centered some of the stormiest fights ever inaugurated in Augusta. His newspaper career in Augusta covered a period of over 15 years and all of it was characterized by an activity prior to that unequalled in the history of local journalism.

Marion Building, Augusta,GA
Marion Building, Augusta, GA
by buck stone, on Flickr
Notably Active in Augusta.
His most notable activities were directed toward upbuilding the city in a commercial and industrial way, at the same time attacking means and methods in some quarters. The completion of The Chronicle building, now known as the Marion building, was the first modern fire-proof office structure completed in the city and he was the dominant figure in its organization.

In political circles he waged a two edged sword and his support of Gov. John M. Slaton [as?] the memorable Leo Frank case attracted nationwide attention, and while not strictly a political question it had many aspects of this character.

In the last illness of Mr. Loyless he knew that he was facing the inevitable and had sent messages to friends in Augusta that his death was but a question of time and the time would not be long. The turn for the worse came last Friday night and he continued to sink gradually until the end came quietly Sunday morning, with his wife and daughter, an only surviving child, present at his bedside.

Funeral in Macon Wednesday.
Thomas, son of T. W. Loyless
Died Feb 22, 1898
Plans for the funeral are for the burial to take place at Macon Wednesday morning, the former home of the family, where he will sleep beside his only son, according to his often expressed wish, the son dying many years ago, when he was a promising boy, filling his father's heart with grief and sorrow, from which he never fully recovered.

After the last sad rites are over, his wife, Mrs. Margaret St. Clair Loyless, will go to Deland, Florida, where she will be with her half-brother, Loyless Kennedy, for some time.

The surviving members of his immediate family are his wife, Mrs. Margaret St. Clair Loyless and his daughter, Mrs. Patrick H. Mell, together with her little daughter, grand-child of Mr. Loyless.

Thomas W. Loyless was born in Dawson, Ga., July 27, 1870, son of Thomas W. and Susan (van Aldehoff) Loyless. His father was born in Columbia county, Georgia, and entered the service of the Confederate Army under General Joe Wheeler, when a very young man, serving with distinction until the close of the war. After the war his father went to Dawson, Ga., and shortly afterward married Miss Susan van Aldehoff, of Tennessee..."

Block 2, Lot 39 of Eglantine Square
Rose Hill Cemetery
Macon, Georgia

Stay tuned for more about Thomas Wesley Loyless. Next up: "Left an Orphan Early" and "Becomes Chronicle Editor."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin