04 August 2017

Will of Fred T. Abel, d. 1909 Bibb County, Georgia

(Descendants of Henry Abel series.)

2014-03-20Frederick "Fred" T. Abel was born 15 April 1844 to German immigrant parents Henry and Elizabeth Follendor Abel.  Fred spent most, if not all, of his life in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia.  Four years before his death in September 1909, Fred made out his last will and testament.  The solemn form was typed and recorded in Bibb County Will Book E, page 451.

Last Will and Testament of Fred. T. Abel, Deceased.
GEORGIA, BIBB COUNTY.

I, F. T. Abel of said County and State being of sound & disposing mind, make this my last Will and Testament.

Item 1st.  I desire my body be buried in a decent and Christian like manner.

Item 2nd.  I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Rebecca G. Abel, my house and lot in the Columbus Road whereon I now reside, to be hers during her life, and at herdeath [sic] to go to my son Louis R. Abel:  I also bequeath to my beloved wife Rebecca G. Abel my Store house and lot situated on the corner of Harris Street and Columbus Road, to be hers during her life and at her death, to go to my son William W. Abel, I also bequeath to my wife Rebecca G. Abel my household and kitchen furniture.

Item 3rd.  I give and bequeath to my beloved Children, Mamie L. Mc.kay, F. T. Abel, Jr., Louis R. Abel, and William W. Abel, the remainder of the real estate owned by me or the proceeds of the same, to be equally divided between them share and share alike.

Item 4th.  I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter Carrie G. Bonner $100.00 One hundred dollars to be realized out of my personal property.

Item 5th.  I give and bequeath the remainder of my personal property or the proceeds of the same, after my debts have been paid to be equally divided between my Children, Mamie L. Mc. Kay, F. T. Abel, Jr., Louis R. Abel and William W. Abel, share and share alike,. [sic]

Item 6th.  I hereby constitute my wife Rebecca G. Abel, and Jeff. D. Mc.Kay Executors of this my last Will and Testament.  F. T. Abel. (L.S.)

Signed and sealed as the last Will and Testament of F. T. Abel, he signing in our presence, and we in his presence, and in the presence of each other.
This the 14th of July, 1905.  H. A. Mc.Kay / Henry L. Slocumb / J. W. Jones

In the matter of Rebecca G. Abel, and Jeff. D. McKay.  } Petition for Probate in Solemn Form of Will of Fred T. Abel, deceased In Bibb Court of Ordinary, December Term, 1909.

Fred's first wife was Camilla Brooks.  She was the mother of Mamie L. McKay, F. T. Abel Jr., and Carrie G. Bonner, mentioned in the will.

[Source:  "Georgia Probate Records, 1742-1990." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. County probate courthouses, Georgia.]

An obituary for Fred appeared on page 3 of the 12 September 1909 edition of the Macon Telegraph (via GenealogyBank):

DEATHS AND FUNERALS

ABEL.
Mr. Fred T. Abel, aged 65, died yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock at his residence on Log Cabin Heights.

Mr. Abel was one of the prominent, older citizens of the city, a veteran having served in the Civil War as a member of Massenburg's battery and the Jackson artillery.  He was also a member of Central City Lodge Knights of Pythias.

The deceased is survived by an immediate family of six, a wife, three sons, F. T., Jr., L. W. and W. W. Abel, of this city; two daughters, Mrs. W. H. Bonner, of Valdosta, and Mrs. J. D. McKay, of this city.  There are also four brothers Messrs. Charles, Milo and William, of Macon and Louis Abel, of St. Louis, Mo.

The funeral will be held at 10 o'clock Monday morning, from the residence on Log Cabin Heights.  Rev. J. M. Bass, of Centenary church, will officiate, and interment will be made in Rose Hill cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin